Hugh C. Wood
Hugh C Wood is Of Counsel to Merolla & Gold, LLP. He is a commercial litigator with extensive real estate and probate experience. Hugh has maintained an AV rating (its highest both in skill and ethics) from Martindale Hubbell for 17 years. He has extensive experience in fiduciary / probate litigation and real estate litigation. He has experience both in the court systems and the American Arbitration Association (AAA) -- domestically and internationally. He has briefed and argued cases in the Georgia Court of Appeals and Georgia Supreme Court.
Fiduciary and Probate Litigation
Real Estate Litigation
Cases Appearing in Official Reporters:
- Villanueva, et al, v. First American Title Insurance Company, 299 Ga. 630 (2013).
- Villanueva, et al, v. First American Title Insurance Company, 313 Ga. App. 164 (2012).
- Community Renewal and Redemption, LLC v. Nix, 279 Ga. 840 (2005).
- Meister, et al, v. Brock, 268 Ga.App. 849 (2004).
- Swertfeger, et al, v. Barber, et al, 266 Ga. App. 790 (2004).
- Center v. Fleet Mortgage Group, Inc., et al, 251 Ga. App. 757 (2001).
- Kreimer v. Kreimer, 274 Ga. 359 (2001).
- Georgia Marble Company v. Therrell, 271 Ga. 295 (1999).
- Quill v. Newberry, 238 Ga. App. 184 (1999).
- Gist v. Dekalb Tire Company, Inc., 223 Ga. App. 397 (1996).
- Page v. Atlanta Center Limited, 219 Ga. App. 422 (1995).
- Winding River Village Condominium Assn, Inc. et al v. Barnett, 218 Ga App. 35 (1995).
- Kirsch v. Meredith, 211 Ga App. 823 (1994).
- Therrell v. Georgia Marble Holdings Company, et al, 960 F.2d 155 (11th Cir. 1992).
- McClendon, et al v. Georgia Kaolin Company, Inc., 783 F. Supp. 1548 (1992).
- Hunter v. Roberts, 199 Ga App. 319 (1991).
- Carmichael et al, v. Barham, Bennett, Miller & Stone, 187 Ga App. 494 (1988).
Litigation occurs on an event by event basis in the economic life of clients. Litigation representation now, or in the past, has been provided to:
- Redknee Solutions, Inc., Toronto, Ontario
- Enertouch, Inc. (Good Cents Solutions), Atlanta, Georgia
- Chase Manhattan Bank
- JPMorgan Chase
- NationsBank Trust
- Bank of America
- BankBoston Mortgage
- Fannie Mae
- GE Capital Mortgage
- Georgia Power Company (Transmission and Condemnation)
- Washington Mutual, Inc.
- Wells Fargo
- Fleet Mortgage
- Alliance Mortgage Company
- Charter One Mortgage
- MidAmerica Apartment Communities
- Trust Company Bank
- United General Title
- Sumitomo Corp. of America (Realty)
- City Attorney, City of Lithonia (2001 to 2003)
- Presiding Judge and Evaluator, Georgia Mock Trial Competition. (1998 - 2001)
Admitted to Practice
Georgia (all State Courts and U.S. District Court for the Northern and Middle Districts of Georgia)
Virginia (all State (excluding the intermediate appellate court) and Courts)
West Virginia (all State Courts and the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia)
Supreme Court of the United States, the Eleventh and Fourth Circuit Courts of Appeal, and United States Tax Court
Auburn University (B.S.B.A. with honors, 1980)
University of Alabama (J.D., 1983)
Emory University (L.L.M. in Litigation, 1996)
MEMBERSHIPS, PUBLICATIONS, AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
State Bar of Georgia
State Bar of Virginia
State Bar of West Virginia
St. Thomas More Legal Society
Lead attorney in the largest known partition of real property in Georgia – 7,000 acres
Co-Chair, Author and Lecturer, Abusive Litigation, ICLE, February 1995 to 2015, Atlanta, GA. Rule 11: Landmines for Lawyers in the 11th Circuit 2003 Rule 11 Update
Various citations and quotes about foreclosure litigation and tax deed litigation in the Atlanta Journal Constitution. 2010-2015